ESPAÑOL      |      PORTUGUÊS      |      FRANÇAIS      |      DEUTSCH      |      我们说普通话      |      हिंदी      |      বাংলা

Call Our Office Today:

(305) 856-0400

11 Types of Temporary US Visas For Immigrants

temporary US visasAre you interested in coming to the US on one of the temporary US Visas? We will discuss 11 different types of temporary US visas that may be available to you.

1. B-1 Business Visitor Visa and B-2 Visitor for Pleasure Visa

These temporary US visas are usually issued together. There is a B-1/B-2 visa-waiver for some nationals who are visiting for ninety days or less, which lets you apply online. Visitor visas last six months, but can be extended up to one year. You must apply in the country you live, and the process is a lot easier and faster to get a B-1 visa than the H-1B visa.

2. US E-2 Treaty Investor Visa and E-1 Treaty Trader visas

These temporary US visas are cheaper and faster to get than the L-1 or H-1B visas. They promote trade, investment and good relationships between the USA and other nations. The E-1 Treaty Trader is for businesses and individuals with a lot of money in international trade with the US.
 E-2 Treaty Investor is for people with a large investment in a US business and own at least half of the company.
 There is a special E-3 Certain Specialty Occupation Professionals from Australia, which is for Australian nationals who have a bachelor’s degree and specialty occupation.

3. F-1 and M-1 Student Visas

The F-1 and M-1 visas are for international students who wish to study in the United States. F1 visa is for students attending a full-time degree. M1 visa is for students enrolled in a vocational study, and valid for only one year. Students may apply for extensions for up to three years.

You must get an SEVIS I-20 from your intended university or college. Except for Canada and Bermuda, apply at a U.S. consulate where you live, get accepted at an SEVP certified institution and prove you have money to support yourself while in school. You must be able to hold a conversation in English and have proof that you will return home. When you arrive, you will get a Form I-94. Keep this form as legal proof of your entry to the US. Your entry is legal for as long you are a student, even after your F1 visa has expired.

4. H-1B Specialty Occupation Visas

There are five steps to be able to get the H-1B visa. A U.S. employer must prove an employer-employee relationship by showing he has the right to control the beneficiary’s employment. Your job is a specialty occupation and related to your field of study. You must be paid the wage for your job. An H-1B visa number must be available at the time of filing the petition.

5. J-1 and Q-1 Exchange Visitor Visas

There are two nonimmigrant visas. The J nonimmigrant visa, for educational and cultural exchange programs and the Q nonimmigrant visa, for international cultural exchange programs.

For a J-1 visa, you must first apply for and be accepted into an exchange visitor program through a designated sponsoring organization. There is an SEVIS I-901 fee, and you can’t travel on the J-1 visa. You must complete the online visa application. Schedule an Interview. Then prepare for your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live.

Employers who have a cultural exchange program can apply for a Q-1 visa for nonimmigrants.  You must be at least 18 years old and be able to talk about your country’s culture. You must file a Form I-129, and your employer must submit proof of their international cultural exchange program.

6. K-1 Fiance Visas

The K-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows a foreign national fiancé/fiancée of a U.S. citizen to come to the United States to marry the petitioning U.S. citizen sponsor. A U.S. citizen files Form I-129F including all documents needed for the application. You must pass an inspection by after arrival. After you’re married, you may file Form I-485 for lawful permanent resident status. You must submit the Form I-751 before the end of the two-year permanent resident period.

7. L-1A Intracompany Transfer Visas

The L-1A visa allows a U.S. employer to transfer an executive or manager from one of its foreign offices to one of its offices in the United States.  Additionally, this also allows a foreign company to send an executive or manager to the United States with the purpose of establishing one.  The employer must file a Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker and pay a fee on behalf of the employee.

8. O-1 Extraordinary Ability Worker Visas

The O-1 nonimmigrant visa is for people who are very talented in sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who are very successful in the television industry and are recognized nationally or internationally for their success. To apply for this visa, these individuals must show their gifted ability through their reputation, and must temporarily come to the United States to continue to improve their skills. The petitioner must file Form I-129.

9. P-1 Artists and Athletes Visas

The P-1 visa is for people coming to the U.S. for a short period to participate in an internationally recognized athletic competition as an athlete. You must be internationally recognized. Your employer must file a Form I-129, Petition for Non-Immigrant Worker, and pay a fee and file other required documents.

10. R-1 Religious Worker Visas

R-1 visas are for individuals coming to the United States for a short period to work a religious job for at least 20 hours per week. You must work for a religious organization and be a member of a religious group. A U.S. employer must file Form I-129 and Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker.

11. NAFTA and US-Canada Free Trade Agreement Visas

The nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visas allow Canadians and Mexicans to work in the United States in the U.S. or foreign employers. Permanent residents of Canada and Mexico are not allowed to apply for TN visas to work as NAFTA professionals. You must complete the online visa application Form DS-160 and schedule an interview.
For more information on immigration visas for traveling to the US, contact us at Pozo Goldstein.

Related Posts