ESPAÑOL      |      PORTUGUÊS      |      FRANÇAIS      |      DEUTSCH      |      我们说普通话      |      हिंदी      |      বাংলা

Call Our Office Today:

(305) 856-0400

Visas for Traveling to the U.S.

Miami visa attorney

Help from a Miami Visa Attorney

People who live in other countries and want to visit the U.S. need to understand the visa requirements. The visa you might need will depend on the reason you plan to visit. Based on the purpose of your visit, the visa application process might be fairly simple or much more complicated. Retaining a Miami visa attorney at Pozo Goldstein can help to identify the appropriate visa and simplify the process of securing it. Here are the most common types of visas used by people from other countries based on different reasons for visiting the U.S.

B-2 Tourist Visa

A B-2 visa is used for people who plan to visit the U.S. to site-see, go on vacation, or enjoy a holiday. B-2 tourist visas are non-immigrant visas for people who want to come to the U.S. for pleasure and remain temporarily. You can’t use a B-2 visa for business reasons. Other than people who come from nations that participate in the Visa Waiver Program, all foreign tourists will need to get a B-2 visa before traveling to the U.S.

H Work Visas

There are a few different H visas U.S. employers can use to hire workers from other countries. An H-1B visa is a popular type of non-immigrant work visa that U.S. employers can apply for on behalf of foreign professionals they want to hire to fill specialized positions. The employers must have had difficulty finding U.S. employees to fill their open positions, and the foreign professionals must have specialized knowledge or Bachelor’s degrees. Employers who want to hire H-1B professionals must petition on their behalf.

If you want to work in the U.S. temporarily as an agricultural worker, you will need to get an H-2A visa. U.S. agricultural employers can apply to sponsor foreign agricultural workers to fill temporary jobs on farms. If you want to work in the U.S. temporarily in a non-agricultural job, you’ll need to find an employer to sponsor you for an H-2B visa. Finally, if you want to come to the U.S. as a trainee at a company, you might be able to do so with an H-3 visa.

F-1 and and J-1 Student Visas

If your reason for traveling to the U.S. is to study at a high school, college, university, seminary, or conservatory, the type of visa you will need to apply for is an F-1 visa. This visa will allow you to study at a university for your undergraduate career as long as you continue to meet the visa requirements. A second type of visa that you might consider is a J-1 student exchange visa, which will allow you to study as an exchange student at an approved educational institution for up to 24 months.

B-2 Medical Treatment Visa

For people whose reason for visiting the U.S. is to obtain medical treatment, they will need to demonstrate that they can’t get the treatment they need in their home country and that the desired treatment is medically necessary. The B-2 visa will allow you to get medically necessary treatment in the U.S. as long as you can prove that you can pay the costs of the treatment you will receive. You will also need to submit letters from your doctor in your country and the U.S. doctor who will treat you supporting your need for treatment in the U.S.

J-1 and H-1B Visas for Foreign Doctors

Foreign doctors who want to work in underserved communities in the U.S. can apply for J-1 visas. You can also apply to extend this visa annually for up to a maximum of seven years. If you want to travel to the U.S. as a foreign doctor to conduct medical research or establish a clinical practice, you can do so by securing an H-1B visa.

E Entrepreneur Visa

If you are an entrepreneur who wishes to start a new business and have significant resources you can invest, you might consider applying for an E visa. This visa is available to you if you come to the U.S. under a treaty between your home country and the U.S. government. If you are a foreign investor with a stake of 50% or more in a U.S. company, you can apply for an E-2 investment visa.

L Business Transfer Visa

If you work for a company in your home country as a professional, and your company wants you to transfer to its U.S. location, you might need to apply for an L-1 nonimmigrant visa. An L-1 visa is designed for companies to transfer foreign employees who serve in executive roles, managerial roles, or have specialized knowledge to their U.S. divisions. You will need to have worked for a foreign division of a U.S. company for at least one year. Companies can also use L-1 visas to send foreign professionals to the U.S. to establish a U.S. location.

O Visas for Recognized Athletes, Artists, or Experts

O visas are designed for foreign nationals with international recognition in the fields of education, business, or the sciences and also for internationally recognized artists and athletes. If you are recognized as possessing extraordinary abilities in one of these fields, you can apply for an O-1A visa. If you are an actor, media professional, or are recognized in another field, you might be eligible for an O-1B visa. If you will accompany someone with an O-1 visa to assist with a specific event or performance, you might be eligible for an O-2 visa.

Consult a Miami Immigration Lawyer

This list of visas simply provides you with an overview and does not include the various eligibility requirements for the different visa types. To learn more about your options and to get help with securing an appropriate visa, contact a Miami immigration lawyer today at Pozo Goldstein by calling (305) 856-0400.

Related Posts